Friday, October 14, 2011

Book Review: Miss Peregrine’s Home For Peculiar Children

First off, I was almost afraid to start reading this, because the photographs gave me the creeps.

And it’s easy to give me the creeps.

Miss-Peregrines-Home-for-Peculiar-Children

Here is the excerpt from the jacket:

“A mysterious island.

An abandoned orphanage.

A strange collection of very curious photographs.

It all waits to be discovered in Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children, an unforgettable novel that mixes fiction and photography in a thrilling reading experience.As our story opens, a horrific family tragedy sets sixteen-year-old Jacob journeying to a remote island off the coast of Wales, where he discovers the crumbling ruins of Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children. As Jacob explores its abandoned bedrooms and hallways, it becomes clear that the children were more than just peculiar. They may have been dangerous. They may have been quarantined on a deserted island for good reason. And somehow—impossible though it seems—they may still be alive.”

In this fictional tale, author Ransom Riggs takes real and unrelated photographs and creates a unique and intriguing story, giving each photograph a character, or as a rare experience for a reader, each character a photograph.

A preview of some of the photographs:

Miss Peregrine's Pics Picnik collage

I really enjoyed this book. So much so, that it only took me a day to read! The author painted such a vivid picture, it felt like I was in the moment with them, and I was enthralled by the children and each one’s “peculiarity”. But the best part of all, at least for this girl?

It was not scary.

I loved it, and would recommend this quick, easy, interesting read to anyone! <3

3 comments:

  1. I got this out fo the library last night! I'm excited to read it now and glad to hear it isn't scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I saw this book pinned on someone's to-read list on Pinterest and I was like "nuh uh, no way" 'cause it really does look creepy! But if you promise that it isn't scary I might just take a chance with it. It sounds really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow---this looks so interesting! I like funky books like this---the creepiness is ok too since it's not scary!
    Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete

Leave Love! It makes my heart happy. :)